Be sure to add a visit to a dentist Cockeysville, MD to your to-do list. The AGD recommends having your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year. During the cleaning, you will receive preventive and diagnostic services and any needed educational information from your dentist. Padonia Dental Associates (located in Cockeysville, MD) offers full-service, state-of-the-art dental care to their patients. Keep reading to find out why regular teeth cleanings are so important.
1. Examine Your Mouth: During your visit, your dental care provider will examine your gums, teeth, and mouth for signs of tooth decay, periodontal disease, and other oral health problems. We will also be able to answer any questions you might have about your oral health.
2. Remove Plaque: A professional teeth cleaning is part of oral hygiene and involves the removal of dental plaque and tartar from teeth with the intention of preventing dental problems. Tartar cannot be removed with a toothbrush; only a dental professional can remove it during a teeth cleaning.
3. Prevent Decay: Regular dental cleanings help to prevent tooth decay. Tooth decay is damage to a tooth that occurs when bacteria produce acids that destroy enamel. It can lead to holes in the teeth, called dental cavities. Left untreated, cavities can cause a toothache, infection, and loss of teeth.
4. Prevent Gum Disease: Regular teeth cleanings can help you prevent periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is an inflammation of the gums. It is caused by dental plaque, a film of bacteria that forms on teeth. Although brushing and flossing every day will keep dental plaque in check, only your dental provider has the tools necessary to remove calculus that has built up on your teeth.
5. Avoid Tooth Loss: Avoiding tooth loss requires making a commitment to smart decisions. Tooth loss is a process in which a tooth becomes loose and falls out. Thankfully, the chance of this happening to you can be reduced by cleaning your teeth regularly and getting checkups and professional dental cleanings at least twice a year.
Need a dentist Cockeysville, MD? Taking care of your smile can prevent problems before they start. If you need a dental cleaning, call Padonia Dental Associates in Cockeysville, MD at 410-560-1400 to schedule an appointment. Your dental hygiene routine and dental care are more than just taking care of your smile. They're important steps in taking care of yourself.
There is nothing worse than losing a tooth. It affects everything from your ability to eat and speak to your oral health and self-esteem. Luckily, our Cockeysville, MD, dentists are able to offer patients dental implants, which are the closest you can come to a real tooth. This artificial tooth replacement is designed to feel and function just like the rest of your natural smile. Here’s what you should know about getting dental implants,
An implant is a permanent artificial tooth root that is placed within the jawbone to take the place of your missing tooth. Once the implant is placed into the jawbone the bone and tissue will fuse together with the implant, providing full functionality and allowing you to be able to eat what you want without worrying about false teeth moving around in your mouth.
Since implants function just like real teeth there are unique benefits that any implant wearer will enjoy. Some of those benefits include:
- Being able to eat whatever you want without worrying about your teeth
- Restored speaking (tooth loss can sometimes cause speech impediments such as a lisp)
- Extreme comfort, as this restoration will feel just like real teeth
- Restored confidence in your smile (the only person who will ever be able to tell that you have an implant is you)
- Improved oral health
- Preserved jawbone health and the prevention of bone deterioration (a complication of untreated tooth loss)
- Preventing teeth from shifting into open gaps in your smile
Who is eligible for dental implants?
Getting dental implants can be time consuming and it does require surgery; therefore, our Cockeysville, MD, restorative dentist will want to make sure that you are right for treatment. A good candidate will have healthy teeth and gums, good oral hygiene, a strong jawbone and be dedicated to months of treatment before they get their full restoration. It can take up to one year or more to get implants.
Padonia Dental Associates in Cockeysville, MD, wants to give you back the smile you deserve. If tooth loss is affecting you then call our office today to schedule a consultation with one of our dentists. Find out if implants are right for you.
A crown is often placed as a way to keep a tooth intact when decay or breakage cannot be repaired otherwise. Crowns are part of the daily routine at Padonia Dental Associates in Cockeysville, MD, and our dental teams has outlined the various benefits of dental crowns.
A whole, healthy smile gives off a great first impression, and crowns are an excellent way to fix dental problems while cosmetically enhancing your teeth. Crowns are made from various materials, including ceramic, silver, and gold. Crowns that are placed on the teeth that are visible when you smile are often custom-colored ceramic in order to blend in with the rest of your natural teeth, making it impossible for others to tell the difference. Metal crowns are more often utilized for the molars, which have more force placed on them with biting and chewing. You can discuss your cosmetic preferences with your Cockeysville dentist.
People with missing teeth tend to avoid foods that are difficult to chew. Unfortunately, this often includes raw vegetables and protein-rich meats, both of which are necessary for a balanced diet. Crowns from your Cockeysville dentist are the remedy to this issue, as they make it easier to bite off pieces of food and chew them thoroughly. It is important, however, to avoid very hard or chewy foods, such as ice or taffy, to prevent dislodging or breaking the crown accidentally.
Perhaps the most important benefit to crowns is the fact that they prevent the need for extraction. Since teeth function best as a full set, your Cockeysville dentist seeks to avoid extractions unless they are absolutely necessary. Crowns help maintain the healthy roots of your tooth while replacing damaged enamel caused by breakage or advanced decay. Crowns are, in this way, an investment in the future of your teeth.
If you think one or more of your teeth might benefit from a crown, contact Padonia Dental Associates in Cockeysville, MD, to make an appointment with one of our skilled dentists. We look forward to helping you achieve better self esteem and dental health!
Root canal therapy often has an undeserved reputation of being an uncomfortable and invasive procedure. However, the reality is actually very different from how the procedure is portrayed in the movies. In fact, root canal therapy actually alleviates pain, for the procedure removes the great discomfort brought on by a badly infected tooth. The dentists at Padonia Dental Associates in Cockeysville, MD, offer cosmetic and restorative dentistry services, including root canals, for patients of all ages—read on to learn more!
Root Canal Therapy from our Cockeysville Office
A root canal (also known as endodontic treatment) is performed when the soft tissue inside of a tooth (pulp) becomes infected or inflamed. The procedure is simple, and it is used to remove bacteria from the damaged, inflamed tissue as well as the root of the damaged tooth. Once the dentist has cleaned the tooth from the inside out, it is then sealed and is good as new! Prior to the procedure, you will receive a local anesthetic so that any discomfort or pressure during the treatment is minimized as much as possible.
Is Root Canal Therapy Painful?
Root canal therapy is often misunderstood, and misconceptions about what the procedure entails often keep people from getting the urgent dental care that they need. This delay often puts the affected tooth and your oral health at risk for further damage. Despite its reputation, root canal therapy is not a traumatic or painful procedure. In fact, it is very similar to the procedure for getting a dental filling and actually helps to prevent the need for more extensive dental work in the future, like extractions.
For more information about root canal therapy and how it can improve your oral health, contact Padonia Dental Associates in Cockeysville, MD, by calling (410) 560-1400 to schedule an appointment with one of our dentists today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.