Be sure to add a visit to a dentist Cockeysville, MD to your to-do list. The AGD recommends having your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year. During the cleaning, you will receive preventive and diagnostic services and any needed educational information from your dentist. Padonia Dental Associates (located in Cockeysville, MD) offers full-service, state-of-the-art dental care to their patients. Keep reading to find out why regular teeth cleanings are so important.
1. Examine Your Mouth: During your visit, your dental care provider will examine your gums, teeth, and mouth for signs of tooth decay, periodontal disease, and other oral health problems. We will also be able to answer any questions you might have about your oral health.
2. Remove Plaque: A professional teeth cleaning is part of oral hygiene and involves the removal of dental plaque and tartar from teeth with the intention of preventing dental problems. Tartar cannot be removed with a toothbrush; only a dental professional can remove it during a teeth cleaning.
3. Prevent Decay: Regular dental cleanings help to prevent tooth decay. Tooth decay is damage to a tooth that occurs when bacteria produce acids that destroy enamel. It can lead to holes in the teeth, called dental cavities. Left untreated, cavities can cause a toothache, infection, and loss of teeth.
4. Prevent Gum Disease: Regular teeth cleanings can help you prevent periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is an inflammation of the gums. It is caused by dental plaque, a film of bacteria that forms on teeth. Although brushing and flossing every day will keep dental plaque in check, only your dental provider has the tools necessary to remove calculus that has built up on your teeth.
5. Avoid Tooth Loss: Avoiding tooth loss requires making a commitment to smart decisions. Tooth loss is a process in which a tooth becomes loose and falls out. Thankfully, the chance of this happening to you can be reduced by cleaning your teeth regularly and getting checkups and professional dental cleanings at least twice a year.
Need a dentist Cockeysville, MD? Taking care of your smile can prevent problems before they start. If you need a dental cleaning, call Padonia Dental Associates in Cockeysville, MD at 410-560-1400 to schedule an appointment. Your dental hygiene routine and dental care are more than just taking care of your smile. They're important steps in taking care of yourself.