Posts for category: Dental
Be sure to add a visit to a dentist Cockeysville, MD to your to-do list. The AGD recommends having your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year. During the cleaning, you will receive preventive and diagnostic services and any needed educational information from your dentist. Padonia Dental Associates (located in Cockeysville, MD) offers full-service, state-of-the-art dental care to their patients. Keep reading to find out why regular teeth cleanings are so important.
1. Examine Your Mouth: During your visit, your dental care provider will examine your gums, teeth, and mouth for signs of tooth decay, periodontal disease, and other oral health problems. We will also be able to answer any questions you might have about your oral health.
2. Remove Plaque: A professional teeth cleaning is part of oral hygiene and involves the removal of dental plaque and tartar from teeth with the intention of preventing dental problems. Tartar cannot be removed with a toothbrush; only a dental professional can remove it during a teeth cleaning.
3. Prevent Decay: Regular dental cleanings help to prevent tooth decay. Tooth decay is damage to a tooth that occurs when bacteria produce acids that destroy enamel. It can lead to holes in the teeth, called dental cavities. Left untreated, cavities can cause a toothache, infection, and loss of teeth.
4. Prevent Gum Disease: Regular teeth cleanings can help you prevent periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is an inflammation of the gums. It is caused by dental plaque, a film of bacteria that forms on teeth. Although brushing and flossing every day will keep dental plaque in check, only your dental provider has the tools necessary to remove calculus that has built up on your teeth.
5. Avoid Tooth Loss: Avoiding tooth loss requires making a commitment to smart decisions. Tooth loss is a process in which a tooth becomes loose and falls out. Thankfully, the chance of this happening to you can be reduced by cleaning your teeth regularly and getting checkups and professional dental cleanings at least twice a year.
Need a dentist Cockeysville, MD? Taking care of your smile can prevent problems before they start. If you need a dental cleaning, call Padonia Dental Associates in Cockeysville, MD at 410-560-1400 to schedule an appointment. Your dental hygiene routine and dental care are more than just taking care of your smile. They're important steps in taking care of yourself.
A crown is often placed as a way to keep a tooth intact when decay or breakage cannot be repaired otherwise. Crowns are part of the daily routine at Padonia Dental Associates in Cockeysville, MD, and our dental teams has outlined the various benefits of dental crowns.
A whole, healthy smile gives off a great first impression, and crowns are an excellent way to fix dental problems while cosmetically enhancing your teeth. Crowns are made from various materials, including ceramic, silver, and gold. Crowns that are placed on the teeth that are visible when you smile are often custom-colored ceramic in order to blend in with the rest of your natural teeth, making it impossible for others to tell the difference. Metal crowns are more often utilized for the molars, which have more force placed on them with biting and chewing. You can discuss your cosmetic preferences with your Cockeysville dentist.
People with missing teeth tend to avoid foods that are difficult to chew. Unfortunately, this often includes raw vegetables and protein-rich meats, both of which are necessary for a balanced diet. Crowns from your Cockeysville dentist are the remedy to this issue, as they make it easier to bite off pieces of food and chew them thoroughly. It is important, however, to avoid very hard or chewy foods, such as ice or taffy, to prevent dislodging or breaking the crown accidentally.
Perhaps the most important benefit to crowns is the fact that they prevent the need for extraction. Since teeth function best as a full set, your Cockeysville dentist seeks to avoid extractions unless they are absolutely necessary. Crowns help maintain the healthy roots of your tooth while replacing damaged enamel caused by breakage or advanced decay. Crowns are, in this way, an investment in the future of your teeth.
If you think one or more of your teeth might benefit from a crown, contact Padonia Dental Associates in Cockeysville, MD, to make an appointment with one of our skilled dentists. We look forward to helping you achieve better self esteem and dental health!